Upcoming articles

Posted by Estee On March - 17 - 2009

In order to keep goals and my thoughts organised, I had made a list of topics I will be writing in the near future. This list will be updated according to my state of mind and inspirations from time to time.In the meantime, if there´s any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a comment.

My journey

Posted by Estee On March - 24 - 2009

Follow my journey from the day I was borned.

My Feng Shui Journal

Posted by Estee On Feb - 10 - 2009

I intend to share some of my thoughts about feng shui in my blog, if you are into feng shui or am interested in it, I shall post my findings and keep you update about the whole process on transforming my home into a more balance Feng Shui home.

I am back!

Posted by Asian living in Sweden On 9:56 PM
If I am an TV producer, I will produce a survival game show call - How I survive the Swedish winter. I have this thoughts for awhile now and I wonder how many people are like me, who think that this could be a life time experience, the type I will never forget and it make me proud my whole life.
This is what I have in mind for the game show, the participant should be someone who never experienced living in a cold country before and were asked to complete the following tasks,
1. Live & sleep in a igloo (Eskimo house)though tout the whole challenge- this should be quite tough as it really required some genuine endurance for extreme cold as the air in the igloo are both wet & dangerously cold.
2. Take a dip in the frozen lake - this requires a healthy heart and a bit of courage and sheer madness.
3. A snow scooter safari race - treasure hunting.
4. Driving really fast on ice - I did this sometime ago and I find it quite extremely exciting !
5. Dog sled race/marathon (Dog sled is a sled pulled by one or more sled dogs used to travel over ice and through snow. Numerous types of sleds are used, depending on their function)- for building communications skills with dogs.
6. Ice fishing is the activity of catching fish with lines and fish hooks or spears through an opening in the ice on a frozen body of water. Ice anglers may sit on the stool in the open on a frozen lake, or in a heated cabin on the ice, some with bunks and amenities - for training patience.
7. Marathon ski for body & mind balancing.
8. Eat the most famous Swedish rotten fish (Surströmming)for taste endurance.

If you like this ideas & ever dream about doing this, you are not crazy!
May be one day your dream will come true!
I think that Sweden is a very beautiful countries and it´s a pity not many place in the country side were explored by tourist. To the local, winter is just a daily part of their life,to me it´s a treasure not found.

Day 1 - This was right in front of us while we were on our way to Jäckvik. I felt like I had landed on another planet. You must be here to experience it yourself.


Day 1 - We´ve got companies! A couples of reindeer were roaming on the highway.
My first thought was..hm..rendeer barbecue!


Day 2 - My mother-in-law helping Nelina with her winter shoe. It´s worth investing in a good pair of winter boots to keep the cold from the feet. I have a normal winter boots and my feet were frozen after standing on ice for more than an hour.


It cost 950 sek per day to hire a snowmobile. The seats can accomodate 2 aldults and 1 child ,the mobile come with a sled so you can load stuff. The mobile we hired was very new and the seats are very comfortable with heated handles!. You definately need a snow mobile to move about on the mountains, because many place are quite desserted no car can reach. I also noticed that other snowmobile passengers or rider were extremely friendly when they meet each other , they often greet each other by waving ,cosy huh? I wonder if they would help us if the mobile got stucked in the snow?

Day 2 - Me ice fishing.


Day 2 - View from the back of our snow scooter. Nelina think that this is really fun, she is also very brave and always wanting to try new things! I was so afraid that she might fell off the sled and we might not find her.


Day 2 - Lunch time! My father-in-law frying pan cake with bacon & curry bun!
Food often taste extra ordinary nice when eating outdoor in the nature, don't you think? The wok is perfect especially for me Asian, I love wok food!


Day 2 - Dinner Time! Swedish rotten fish party. This is not so bad actually if you can stand dried salted fish from Malaysia or Thailand. Surströmming is a northern Swedish dish consisting of fermented Baltic herring. Surströmming is sold in cans, which often bulge during shipping and storage. With other kinds of canned goods, this is usually an indication that the contents have spoiled and are not safe to eat. When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odor, which explains why the dish is often eaten outdoors.


This is how Lars de-bone , garnish & eat his surströmming.


Surströmming is often eaten with a kind of bread known as tunnbröd, literally "thin bread". This thin, either soft or crispy bread (not to be confused with crisp bread) comes in big square sheets.Usually an open sandwich is made with surströmming and a number of other ingredients. Boiled potatoes (often mandelpotatis or almond potatoes) are common, as are diced onion. Other common ingredients are gräddfil (fat fermented milk/sour cream) or crème fraîche, chives and sometimes tomato.The surströmming sandwich is served with snaps, beer, svagdricka, water or cold milk.
It is quite common for surströmming to be served as the focus of a surströmming party.

Lars enjoy his rotten fish very much!

Day 3 - Nelina build a pond beside so that the fish could swim aound it.


Day 3 - Nelina scooter skiing, I dream about doing this but my back will not support me if I fall. I will do this one day!



Day 3 - Headless ghost


Day 3 - Talking fish screaming for help!


We stopped over at Arvidsjaur for lunch at a restaurant called Kaffe Stugan. For just 75kr/per person we can have Thai Stew, sausage stew, and palt (dish made with raw potatoes and chopped meat such as bacon, or sausage, with flour as a binder. It is formed into a ball and then boiled, and served with melted butter.)This type of food are very cheap & filling. The salad were soaked in sour dressing that taste like a week old. The bread was frozen and the atmosphere was pretty runned down.
I was really disappointed with the so called Thai stew. They called it Thai stew to attrack customer, there´s not even 1% Thai and it taste horrible! The Thai stew are made of some tiny slices of fatty pork floating on a starchy gravy that it look like throw-up. The sausage stew was´nt any better either, the sauce was so watery and I hardly find a good chunk of sausage in the cantin.I am not a fan of palt but I still find it edible. Nelina took 2 bites and refused to eat further even though she was quite hungry.She is not a picky eater, but when she did´nt want to eat,it mean that the food was really bad!I was very unsatisfied with the food & mentioned that I will speak to the restaurants owner about the food(of course in a diplomatic manner). Nelina told me not to do that because she think that it could be too embarrassing. We later walk out of the restaurant without mentioned a word to the owners. I was feeling frustrated when we came back to our car because I was not allow to complain about things that was´nt right! My primary intention was not expecting money back neither did I want to embarrass anyone for their lousy job. My point was to be able to teach my daughter to speak up her mind and not afraid to say no when things are´nt right!

Picture of Nelina´s palt (Half eaten)


Here´s a video clip I took while we were at the restaurant.


Some picture of the food we ate in the cottage.

Princess cake


Pork stew, wok potatos with onions and mixed vegi, avocado with egg & soft cheese & red beet salad.


My MIL starter - Avocado with shrimp on soft bread


I had some problems with my stomach the day before we left for Jäckvik, this Boa Zhia Yun really help! Without it, I think I will be stucked at home!
I often bring along a bottle of Yoko Yoko to release stiff muscle from long hour car ride and they work magically!



To be continue...

Laleh..Some die young

blog expat