Upcoming articles

Posted by Estee On March - 17 - 2009

In order to keep goals and my thoughts organised, I had made a list of topics I will be writing in the near future. This list will be updated according to my state of mind and inspirations from time to time.In the meantime, if there´s any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a comment.

My journey

Posted by Estee On March - 24 - 2009

Follow my journey from the day I was borned.

My Feng Shui Journal

Posted by Estee On Feb - 10 - 2009

I intend to share some of my thoughts about feng shui in my blog, if you are into feng shui or am interested in it, I shall post my findings and keep you update about the whole process on transforming my home into a more balance Feng Shui home.

Pocket Money

Posted by Asian living in Sweden On 9:29 AM

When I was a child, I don't remember one incident that I have to do house work in order to received pocket money from my mum, my friends would considered me very lucky and I get (5sek) $1 sin dlr for pocket money everyday but I think I only had $0.60 sin dlr as my pocket money all the way till Primary 4. What did I do with the money? I brought dried instant noodle as snacks and ting ting (white candy with flour) from the Indian mobile candy man. If I saved up to $3 me & friends go enjoy a meal at Marine Parade A&W . During that time, hanging out at A&W with a Conney hotdog and root beer in your hand staring out the window at your friends passing pass is big time! Otherwise I will go to the movie with my best friends Calley. We had watched Grease a coupled of times,sometime romantic film from Taiwan or Hong Kong or just hang-out at Orchard Road MacDonald eating ice-cream. I will always remember my first roller-coaster experience at Great World, that´s why until now no one can can ever put me on that spot again.
Nelina is turning 11 in April, soon it´s time for her to moving towards independence. We want to help her practice in managing money while she still have our guidance. We thought earning money thru helping out with house chores not only give her the opportunities to contribute to the family but also prepare her for taking responsibilities.We started this practise a couples months ago and so far she is doing fine.I think some rules has to be straighten out so there´s no misunderstanding and that she understand not every tiny little job she will get paid for. For example, since Filippa is her cat, she is responsible for feeding and remove poo everyday. Also it´s her own daily routine to make her bed & breakfast every morning etc..

Here´s a list of what she could do to earn pocket money. We are not rich, the rate is according to what we think is reasonable & affordable.

Vacuum floor one floor - 7sek (1.50 sin dlr)
Wash dishes with hand - 5sek (1.00 sin dlr)
Remove dishes from dish washer - 3sek (0.60 sin dlr)
Remove cloth from washing machine and hang them -5sek (1.00 sin dlr)
Fold cloth - 3sek(0.60 sin dlr)
Clean and tidy her room once a week- 10sek (2.00 sin dlr)
Sweep snow from the entrance -3sek (0.60 sin dlr)
Pick up post/newspaper - 1sek (0.20 sin dlr)
Set dinner table - 3sek (0.60 sin dlr)
Throw rubbish - 1sek (0.20 sin dlr)
Help out in cooking 5-10sek (1 - 2 sin dlr)

Here´s my interview with her on this topic.

What do you think of this idea?
I think it´s good! I have learned how to do house work and earn my own blood money.
It´s not so fun , a lot of hard work but the rewards made-it-up.Better than nothing.

How does this practise make you feel?
I feel that I could do more than I thought. It feel great! I like to feel that I could be of help. Sometime, money is not everything.

What do you plan to do with the money?I want to save as much as I can so I can afford to own a mini lab top, a digi camera would be nice so I can add video to my blog,or a brand new bicycle - my friends have new one, mine is too old and I have outgrown. I would like to save 50% of my earning in a bank so I can use it when I grow older.

How much do you earn a week & what did you do with the money?
Sometime in a week I could earn up to 100kr or more(20 sin dlr), sometime just 20 - 30kr (4-6 sin dlr). I´d just brought myself a bikini last week and it´s nice being able to decide how I want to spent the money.

Did you buy Lördag godis (Saturday candy) with the money ?
No, my parents don't usually eat candy,so I don´t have this habit. I prefer fruit,it´s nicer and healthier. I like mango, pear,oranges,strawberries and other exotic fruit. BTW, I can eat 5-8 clementine in 5 mins.

Laleh..Some die young

blog expat